When installing an application using the Microsoft Windows Installer Service on a computer running Windows NT 4.0, installation sometimes stops unexpectedly and one of the following error messages appears:
· The Windows Installer Service failed to start. Contact your support personnel.
· Error 1631: The Windows Installer service failed to start. Contact your support personnel.
· Internal Error 2755: Please contact product support for assistance.
Any product installed using the Microsoft Windows Installer Service on Windows NT 4.0 can be affected.
This error can occur whenever the Microsoft Windows Installer Service is used to install, uninstall, modify, or repair a product on Windows NT 4.0 and is caused by an empty System environment variable.
Details of this issue are provided in Microsoft Knowledge Base article #Q251274.
To resolve the issue
- Click Start | Settings | Control Panel | System. The System Properties dialog box appears.
- Click the Environment tab.
- In the System Variables box, locate the empty environment variable (that is, the Value box for the environment variable is blank).
- Do one of the following:
- In the Value box, type the applicable value for the environment variable.
- Type a temporary value for the variable, then delete the value after installation, uninstallation, modification, or repair of the software has successfully completed.
- If the environment variable is not needed, delete it by clicking the variable, then clicking Delete.
- Reboot the computer, then restart the installation, uninstallation, modification, or repair of the software.
Last Update: 08-30-02
SecureLogix Corporation13750 San Pedro, Suite 230 San Antonio, Texas 78232 (210) 402-9669 www.securelogix.comSupport (877) SLC-4HELP EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org http://support.securelogix.comETM, SecureLogix, SecureLogix Corporation, TeleWatch Secure, TWSA, the ETM Emblem, the SecureLogix Diamond Emblem, and the ETM Application Suite Emblems are trademarks or registered trademarks of SecureLogix Corporation in the U.S.A. and other countries. All other trademarks mentioned herein are believed to be trademarks of their respective owners.© Copyright 2002 SecureLogix Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
U.S. Patents No. US 6,249,575 B1 and US 6,320,948 B1. U.S. and Foreign Patents Pending.This product includes:
Data Encryption Standard Software developed by Eric Young (email@example.com)
© Copyright 1995 Eric Young. All Rights Reserved.
Style Report software owned and licensed exclusively by InetSoft Technology Corp.
© Copyright 1996-2000 InetSoft Technology Corp. All Rights Reserved.